Thursday, May 25, 2017

Being in Awe of God

"Look at that one! And that one! Look at that Gamera!" Every picture to me is just like the last one. They all are pictures of Gamera. All pictures of no interest to me, other than for the fact that they bring much excitement to my son. It's funny seeing him flip through the pictures, as maybe one in ten might impress me for the color and the effects, and that it looks as real as real can be in the world of monsters.

This illustrations reminds me of how we can be in awe of God. It's not clear from an outsiders perspective, but as a Christian, we can see how God is at work in all of our lives. We can see the detail that makes one story different from the next. We can see that there is much to be excited about when the rest of the world is confused and unimpressed. We can see how the pieces of our lives fit together just right. We can see how the big pictures just makes sense.

It's funny how the rest of the world can be so unimpressed. But, just as I was watching my son flip through the pictures of Gamera, I was not paying attention to the details. I don't even know who Gamera is, besides that he looks like a flying turtle!

If people get to understand the God of the Bible, they will begin to be impressed by his creation. The finest doctors around can learn to fix the human body and bring patients to a state of healing. But, I can guarantee that none of them could have figured out how to link the heart and lungs so that they work together to allow us to run, and to sleep, and to swim. Doctors can fix our vision through corrective lenses, but I can guarantee they could have never created an eye to see. Who can even fathom how we see, how our sight is such an amazing necessity?

Who can fathom how our brains can comprehend language? According to Merriam-Webster, there are about 470,000 words in the Webster dictionary. Just how kids can speak fluently at such a young age will always amaze me.

When we lose the awe of God, that is when we are taking his work for granted. Chuck Swindoll teaches that this is the result of overexposure. Let's not let overexposure to God's greatness limit our ability to appreciate his work. Be in awe of his creation today.

Yours Truly,
Melissa Seng

No comments:

Post a Comment