Friday, March 17, 2017

The Dreaded "I Have To's" of Daily Life!

Isn't it terrible to think of all the things we have to get done in a day's time!? There is just work, followed by more work, work, work, until we finally lay our head down to sleep. The thoughts of work clutter our mind about 18 hours a day. Thoughts from "I have to finish the laundry," to "I have to pick up my kids on time," to "I have to help them with their homework," to "I have to cook dinner," to "I have to go shopping," to "I have to clean the house."

Isn't that awful!? That's quite a bit of pressure we place upon ourselves! Yes, we have so many responsibilities as a mother, and probably an employee. After all, mothers are cooks, nurses, taxi drivers, financial planners, coaches, school teachers, and entertainers. That's quite a list. Not only do we have to fulfill those roles, we have to learn to be successful at them for the benefit of those we love. The responsibilities are rewarding, but the stress of fulfilling these obligations can take away much of our joy. How can we possibly live in good spirits when our days are loaded with duties?  Our role as a mother and wife is fulfilling; we just need the joy back in our life. So, is it possible to have the craziness and the joy in our life? Let's take a look.

In order to enjoy our duties as a woman, we need to gain a sense of control over our lives. Our days are full of "I have to's." Our to-do lists just keep getting longer. And, it looks like there is no break in sight.

Well, there's good news. You have the control to bring back your joy. Your source of control is summed up in one word: attitude. Attitude changes everything. Watching parents pick up their kids at school, or seeing the frantic shoppers in the grocery store, you can guess the mindset of those busy people. They have the typical "I have to" mind set. There is so much they have to do. It robs them of joy and peace they most likely desire for themselves and their family.

But what happens if we take people with the same responsibilities with a different mind set? What happens if their mind set is one of "I get to!"? How does that change the situation?

Can you imagine the peace that would come over you walking through life with an "I get to" attitude? What would that look like? Well, let's take a look and see...

Picking up your kids at school: "I get to see my kids! It's going to be a fun family night!"

Shopping for groceries: "I get to try my new recipe! The kids are going to love it!"

Shopping for yourself: "I get to buy a few things for myself! This is going to be a good day."

Shopping for kids clothes: "I get to buy them new clothes. I am so thankful my kids are healthy and growing."

Playing with your kids: "I am so glad we get to spend time together. These days, I will remember forever!"

Exercising: "I am glad I have the opportunity to look my best!"

Wow! What a change! That simple mindset of, "I get to" instead of "I have to" can change everything. Imagine what that would look like in your life. What a relief. Even amidst the craziness, that joy can return. Amazingly, it's not the responsibilities, it's the attitude that brings the best in life to fruition! Have an "I get to!" attitude today, and enjoy then sense of peace and joy that it brings. :)

1 comment: