Saturday, May 5, 2018

Every Mile Gets Easier

Do you ever set goals for yourself and find that they are difficult to fulfill? I want to encourage you today with, possibly, some uncommon wisdom. I want to let you know that in any area of excellence you are pursuing, every mile gets easier. Perhaps, you want to write a book, or raise a family, or get into better physical shape, or understand the Scriptures, I want to tell you that every mile gets easier. In this blog, I use the analogy of running, but I encourage you to think about whatever goals you are pursuing as you read.

Life can be tough. In parenting, the first year, you may look like a train wreck. You want to have it all together, but your focus is completely on a little child who needs you. Watching out for them night and day, changing dirty diapers, entertaining them, and feeding them will fill your schedule. Toys, baby food, clothes, strollers, blankets, and diapers fill your house and car. That first milestone as a parent is hard. My mom always told me, "It gets easier." With two boys grown out of the baby stage, I can definitely say she's right. They are stronger, more independent, smarter, adapting to their surroundings. They are fun, full of energy, and have given me more than I have given them that first year of parenting. They do not do laundry, dishes, and cooking yet; but, that day will come.

Getting past that first mile in any endeavor makes all the difference. I watch professional athletes dunk the ball, or throw a pass, or complete a tackle with ease. And I can't help but realize that they make it look easy. That's part of the fun in watching sports. They have so much skill that the game becomes enjoyable. The same is true in parenting, and the same is true in life.

When we are working towards a goal, the most difficult part is the decision to start. It involves fear and self-doubt. It takes courage in recognizing that we need to be farther than we currently are in life. And it takes wisdom and positivity in learning from past mistakes. The decision to move forward takes a lot of emotional strength and effort.

People like to tell us that pursing a goal only gets more difficult as you go forward. I believe it's just the opposite. In exercise, the most difficult decision is getting out the door and getting those feet moving. Once you do, you get stronger, more energized, more confident, and more certain that you are doing the right thing. You see more clearly; you see that you can do this. You still experience the same temptations to give up, but you have come farther and can be encouraged to move forward with strength and character.

My favorite part about running is walking (outdoors!). My second favorite part is stretching. It is in those phases of my workout that I can tell how far I have come, how much stronger I feel, and how much more relaxed I am about the day. When we reach new levels and begin to achieve our goals, we can start to clear our mind of all of the negativity and stress that once had a place there.

Rich DeVoss once said, "Don't wait for things to happen. Make things happen. And when you make things happen, you change the condition." In running, Mile 1, I want to cry; mile 2, I start to see some progress; mile 3, I realize I have stuck with it long enough to see some results. From there, I just have to keep moving forward, as long as the investment is worth the rewards.

Running takes 100% effort for 100% results. It takes everything you've got. And, everything you put into it - the energy, enthusiasm, strength, time, money - you get back in one way or another. What in your life can you invest in at 100%? When our work is pleasing to God, he rewards us greatly because he has created us to do good works.

Thanks for reading!

~Melissa Seng

No comments:

Post a Comment