Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Three Great Pasta Alternatives for Your Family!

Talking on the subject of healthy eating can be quite comical. Some people want to run away, while others want to hear every word that you say. Some people, like myself, need to eat healthy and do a detox; others, like my husband, tell me that he wants to do a retox. Not one of us is the same. After all, Usain Bolt ate 1000 chicken nuggets during the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and even added fries and apple pie with that (businessinsider.com). But, for most of us (especially women), eating healthy greatly improves our everyday life.

Many people are sensitive to gluten. But, as The Daniel Plan explains it, "what is one man's medicine is another man's poison." The book states that inflammation that results from gluten can trigger arthritis, asthma, diabetes, dementia, obesity, depression, heart disease, and cancer. That is quite a list!

Recently I found three great alternatives to ordinary pasta. Pastas, breads, and baked goods tend to cause inflammation. So, here are three ideas to help...

1. Quinoa
2. Brown Rice Pasta (may contain quinoa, as well)
3. Spaghetti Squash.

I was so excited about these alternatives because after I topped them with my favorite spices and cheese, I enjoyed them more than spaghetti. Each of these options are delicious and healthy. But, we, also, must keep in mind the type of sauce we are using. Regular spaghetti sauce usually contains ingredients that are genetically modified and are filled with sugar. However, there are choices readily available that are non-GMO and have no sugar added.

Top it off with Mozzarella cheese and your favorite spices and enjoy! For a bonus, you can place the baked spaghetti squash into a pan with sauce and cheese, and turn it into your favorite lasagna recipe!

I hope these ideas are a great help to you and your family. Thanks for reading, and feel free to share my blogs!

Melissa Seng

No comments:

Post a Comment